“National Coming Out Day”

Natalia Cooper

“National Coming Out Day” Friday, October 11

The Queer Student Union says to wear a rainbow to show support for National Coming Out Day. One can be picked up on the second floor of the McCormack Building at the QSU/Health Services Table.There will also be a panel discussion with members of the QSU in Wheatley Hall, 4th floor, Room 125, at 2:30pm the same day. Participants will be able to ask questions or just sit and listen to Coming Out Stories. For more information, call the Queer Student Union at (617) 287- 7983.

From Hiroshima To Washington, D.C.:The Case For Disarmament

On Tuesday, October 15th, from 7-9pm at MIT, 50 Vassar St., Cambridge, room 34-101. Speakers include Hiroshima Mayor Tad Akiba, IDDS Director and author of An Urgent Call To End Nuclear Danger, Randall Forsberg, Abenaki Elder Tom Doustou of the Hiroshima Flame Walk, Boston City Councilor Chuck Turner, and State Representative Alice Wolf. A Cambridge Slide Show “No Place To Hide” will be shown as well. For more information call 617-349-4694 or 617-354-2169. Sponsored by the Disarmament Action Network, Cambridge Peace Commission.

MentoringOpportunity

The Office of Service Learning and Community Outreach invites faculty, staff, and students at UMass Boston to take this opportunity to get involved with the local community. The Columbia Point Community Partnership is looking for volunteers to be financial coaches who will provide individualized mentoring and support related to personal financial management and asset acquisition to low-income families and individuals. For more information, please contact Audrey Morgenbessor at 617-288-1140 x126, or the Office of Service Learning and Community Outreach, 617-287-7955.

Did You Know?

– Approximately 400 UMass undergraduates are veterans.- 56% of UMass undergraduates are first-generation college students.- The average age of an undergraduate at UMass is 27. – The average age of graduate students is 35.

(Source: Fact Sheet, Office of the Vice Chancellor for University Communications and Community Relations, UMass Boston.)