UMB Athletics Gets New Look

Titus, Beacon, and Gora?What a team!

Titus, Beacon, and Gora?What a team!

Jason Campos

The University of Massachusetts Boston will make a change to the appearance of its mascot, the Beacon, and other marks that identify the athletic program it was announced by Director of Athletics, Charlie Titus.

On September 23 at noon, the University will unveil the results of a thorough and intensive study which led to an effort to change the look of UMass Boston’s athletic logo and other marks associated with athletics. The product of two years of labor result in new primary and secondary logos, which include wordmarks, icons and a change in type font. UMass Boston will also change its colors from royal blue and white to Beacon Blue (PMS 279), black and white. The new identity program was created by the Silverman group with input from athletes, coaches and administrators of the University.

“I am extremely pleased with the process, initiated by our student athletes, that has culminated with a complete renewal of our athletic logo, icon and word marks”, said University of Massachusetts Boston Director of Athletics, Charlie Titus. “I want to thank the UMass Boston student athletes and our entire university community for their participation and support. Specifically, I would like to thank Marc Jacobson of the Silverman Group, for sharing his expertise and lending his guidance and inspiration throughout the entire process”.

The call for updating or changing the current Beacon as the mascot came from the University’s Student Athletic Advisory Council, which represents all of the campus’ athletes. This constituency sponsored a search for a new mascot and requested ideas from the student body. After a review of possible mascots, it was ultimately decided that there was no definitive favorite and that the Beacon was the only truly appropriate mascot for UMass Boston. Currently UMB’s athletic program is the only collegiate entity in the country to carry the moniker.

While the University has retained the Beacon, the consensus was that it needed a facelift from its current incarnation. An entire program has been developed to showcase UMass Boston updated identity over the course of the next few years.

If you would like more information and samples of variations of the new UMass Boston logos, they can be made available digitally, via e-mail, or a CD-Rom can be supplied upon request.