News Briefs published 12/12/02

Natalia Cooper

Congratulations to UMB Alumni D’Agostino!

(courtesy of University Reporter)

UMass Boston alumni Mark D’Agostino ’02 was one of 40 students nationwide awarded a Marshall scholarship in recognition of excellence in academics. D’Agostino is the first from UMass Boston to receive the prestigious award. As a Marshall scholar, he will pursue graduate study in neuroscience in Great Britain’s Nottingham University.

“To be recognized as one of 40 students nationwide is a singular honor and recognition of the outstanding scholarship Mark conducted as a student at UMass Boston,” said UMass Boston Chancellor Jo Ann Gora. “We are extraordinarily proud of his accomplishment and the mentoring he received here as an Honors student.”

D’Agostino, of Newton, graduated magna cum laude with a BS in biology in June 2002. He first came to UMass Boston as a special student, after earning his GED. During his career at the university, D’Agostino earned honors and distinctions in biology and Honors Program scholar status. His accomplishments include earning straight As while studying at Oxford University for a semester as a Consentino Scholarship recipient and presenting his senior thesis at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society.

An alumnus of UMass Boston’s Honors Program, D’Agostino joins a growing group of honors students who have won top fellowships. In 1999 and 2001, four students won Fulbright scholarships and three others had reached the semi-final or final rounds for competitive awards such as the Rhodes and Marshall Scholarships. Their outstanding academic scholarship in the Honors Program won them a place among the country’s most elite scholars.

Upcoming Forum to Discuss “Lost Ground: Homeland Security for America’s Poor People”

Ann Withorn and Randy Albelda, both faculty members at UMass Boston will speak at the forum. It will be a conversation concerning poverty and the consequences of “welfare reform” in the world of the global economy. The event will take place on Tuesday, December 17 from 6:30-8:30pm, at the Cambridge Public Library at 45 Pearl Street in Central Square. It is part of Boston Global Action Network’s ongoing series, “Understanding and Transforming the Global Economy.” Admission is free and refreshments will be provided. For more info, call Paul Shannon of the American Friends Service Committee at 617-497-5273 or email [email protected].

Cosmic Bowling

The Asian Center is going to Boston Bowl on Friday, December 13, 2002 from 7:30pm-9:30pm, and if you’re a UMB student, you’re invited! Boston Bowl is located right on Morrissey Boulevard. The Asian Center requests that people participating arrive on time. A $2 ticket includes 1 hour of cosmic bowling, shoe rental, 1 slice of pizza, and 1 soda, and 10 game tokens. Tickets may be purchased at the Office of Student Life. For more info contact the Asian Center at (617) 287-7984.