GSA News

Heather Connors

By Heather Connors

Become a Member!The Graduate Student Assembly is the voice of graduate students at UMass Boston. We’re still looking for members for next year! We strongly encourage each graduate department to appoint at least one student to serve on the GSA. If you are interested in getting involved, please email the GSA and we will add you to our contact list. Good luck on your final papers and exams! Congratulations Graduates!We would like to congratulate graduating GSA members, Maria Rocha-Tracey, Jillian Spooner and Adam Huie, as well as everyone else graduating this semester. Congratulations on your hard work, and good luck with your future endeavors!

Thank YouThe GSA has had a great year and would like to take a minute to thank everyone who has helped make us successful. Thank you to all of the GSA members for their hard work and dedication. Thank you to our advisors, Jain Ruvidich-Higgins, Joyce Morgan and Vice Chancellor Charlie Titus for your help, guidance and support as we planned programs and events. Thank you to Kelli and the Student Life Counter staff for your bright smiles, cheer, and for putting up with us. Thank you to Rita, Linda, Diane and the rest of the Student Life staff for advising our clubs and helping us through our budget and other questions. Thank you to the Office of Graduate Studies for your support for, and interest in, our activities. Thank you to our RPAs for taking an active part in the ‘social’ side of graduate student life. And, finally, thank you to all who attended our meetings and events, took part in our grants and programs, and submitted information for the GSA News. Without your participation, the GSA would not be as strong as it is now. We’ve had a great year and look forward to working with everyone next year.

Recognized Professional Association InformationDon’t forget, RPAs must be re-activated yearly. Activation materials for the 2005-2006 academic year will be available on the GSA website in August. Graduating RPA officers should be sure to discuss their RPA’s future with current members and make arrangements for fall RPA activation. Appointing new officers and sharing new contact information with the GSA will help ensure a smooth transition into next year!Also, remember that beginning October 11, 2005, RPAs will no longer be allowed to carry a monetary balance in excess of $500. After that date, additional funds will revert to the GSA’s general programming account. To avoid losing money in their accounts, RPA officers should plan their events early in the semester. Gerontology Dissertation DefenseThe Department of Gerontology is pleased to announce that Jennifer Warren will be defending her dissertation, titled, “The Aging Baby Boom Cohort: Predictors of Condom Use for Disease Prevention” on Thursday, May 19 at 10 am in Wheatley Hall, 3-125. The public is invited to attend. Congratulations and good luck to Jennifer Warren!

Don’t Forget to Register for Classes or Pay your Program Fee!Can you believe that it is already time to register for next semester’s classes? Fall 2005 Registration began on April 25 – register soon so you won’t have to pay a late fee! And if you are finished with classes and working on your dissertation, be sure to pay your Program Fee. The Program Fee form is available at the Registrar’s Office.

Professional Development GrantsDo you need extra money to travel to a professional conference this semester? The GSA administers the Professional Development Grant (PDG) program to assist graduate students with the economic burden of traveling to, and participating in, professional conferences and meetings. Grants of up to $400 are available to reimburse students presenting papers or posters, and grants of up to $300 are available for students attending conferences. Please refer to our website for application materials and guidelines. Note that all application materials must be submitted at least 30 days prior to travel to be eligible for review.

Looking for us?We are located on the 3rd floor of the Campus Center, in room 3404. For applications, forms, or more information on any of our programs, please visit our website at www.gsa.umb.edu.