Student Athletes Shine At Annual Banquet

Chancellor Gora speaks.

Chancellor Gora speaks.

Jason Campos

The UMass Boston athletic department hosted its annual Athletic Awards banquet in the Creative Room in the Clark Athletic Center on May 12. This ceremony is intended to recognize the hardwork demonstrated by student athletes, on and off the court/field.

The evening opened with a few words by the Athletic Director, Charlie Titus. He used what he called “a bad joke” to emphasize the importance and priority that academics should have for the student athlete. Detailed in his praise of the ideal student athlete, Titus stressed how those students in that very room who participate in collegiate varsity sports are exemplary and models for others to emulate.

The next speaker was Chancellor Joanne Gora. Gora made mention that when she was at the University of Old Dominion, where she held the position of provost, the athletic director flatteringly called her “Coach Gora.” She remarked upon the remarkable similarities that sports and life share, and that the athletes of UMass Boston are winners. The opportunity to utilize what is learned in sports and the classroom is available and that “One can provide leadership on and off the court/field.”

Titus returned to the podium to take the opportunity to thank everyone who made the athletic department a success, from those in administration and on staff to the coaches and facilities workers.

The next speaker was the first and only student athlete of the night to speak, Michael D’Agostino. Michael head the Student Athletes Advisory Board, a board comprise of student athletes that deal various issues on university wide level that pertain to the UMB athletic department and student athletes in general. D’Agostino listed some of the accomplishments and projects that the board had been involved with from organizing hospital visits to the long process of the eventual logo change of the university.

The first collective student athlete acknowledgement of the night was the recognition of the All-Conference first and second team members and conference championships. UMass Boston had a total of seven first team athletes, three second team players, and six Little East Conference champions.

The Student Watch Awards and Team MVPs were next on the dock. The head coaches were particular in their praise and adulations for their team and players. The coaches also took time to draw attention to certain players who, although they did not receive an award, made contributions that were vital to the success and/or cohesion of the team/program.

The two most distinguished awards of the night, the William Puerto Awards and the Athletic Director Awards, concluded the presentation segment of the program. The awards are given to athletes, usually seniors, that demonstrate success, both athletic and academic, for a period of three or four years. The recipients were volleyball/softball player Gina Torres and soccer player Michael D’Agostino (William Puerto Award), and basketball players Keyanna Smith and Jake Luhn (Athletic Department Award).

Charlie Titus concluded the evening with a fare-thee-well to four coaches. Women’s volleyball coach Derek Schmidt, men’s tennis coach Huan Hsu, women’s tennis coach Jennifer Diprete, and men’s hockey coach Joe Mallen are departing UMass Boston and proceeding to new ventures. The quartet was called to stand before the gathering and was given a loud and long round of applause.