Extracurricular Arts

MiMi Yeh

Student involvement in the arts on campus can be a great way to pass the time, meet people, and learn something new. For example, The Watermark, the student-run magazine, is always looking for staff, critical readers to wade through the creative deluge, and submissions of any sort, from art to poetry to short stories. The Watermark also sponsors open mic readings in Wit’s End, the coffee shop of Wheatley Hall. For more information, call (617) 287-7960.

WUMB, a radio station located on campus, offers a unique variety of programming from contemporary folk music to The Commonwealth Journal, a forum that discusses events and news of interest to Massachusetts residents. For more information on any of these opportunities, e-mail at [email protected] or phone Lisa at 617-287-6912.

For the budding musician, private music lessons are offered. Individual study of voice, guitar, bass, piano, organ, strings, woodwinds, brass, saxophone, and all percussion instruments at all levels are offered with instruments available on request. For more information, call the Department of Performing Arts at (617) 287-5640.

The Student Arts and Events Council sponsors a ticket series, does programming for the entire campus (speakers, trips, barbecues, dances. etc.), and works to build a strong community at UMass Boston. They also sponsor the annual Graduate Ball, and fund the Harbor Art Gallery on our campus. Contact the SAEC at W/4/115 or 617-287-7979.

The Performing Arts Department, under which the Dance, Theatre Arts, and Music Departments are combined, are constantly holding events, whether it’s plays or concerts. Ushers and ticket sellers are always needed. For more information, call (617) 287-5640.

The Beacon, UMass Boston’s yearbook, offers a chance to tour the campus, facilities and clubs, as well as exposure to a wide variety of interests within the student population. For more information, call the Yearbook Office at (617) 287-7947.